From the very beginning of the establishment of the Faculty of Agronomy and Foresty, the director of Botanical Department, professor Kiril Kiryakov is carefully selecting assistants, who are strongly attracted to nature: Dimitar Deliparvanov, Stoqn Dimitrov, Ganka Aleksieva, Ivan Kovachev, Maria Popova, Iliq Cheshmedjiev and he started deep research on the plant resources in Bulgaria.
The Botanical Garden in Plovdiv has been established in 1950 on 250 hectares land. It is the 3rd botanical garden in Bulgaria and the first one of such description out of the capital.
Professor Kiril Kirqkov develops the Botanical garden, that provides good conditions for their research.
Professor Stoqn Dimitrov organizes expeditions, in which everybody from the department participates. The real activity on creating of the Botanical Garden starts in the year 1957, when as its director was appointed engineer Dimo Gramatikov.
In the following few years was made a project for planting the land, including the creating of water areas, artificial relief forms, rocky spots, alleys, places to relax and others.
With planting materials from the ex royal castles (Krichim, Vrana, Eksinovgrad) and from the big ornamental nurseries in the country, the artetectum of the garden was started, which in the 80s and early 90s of the 20th century was the richest in species relation in our country. In 1963 in the Botanical Garden has been created a seed bank and the first seed catalogue, with which the garden is included in the system of international exchange of plant genetic material (seeds and vegetative material for breeding).
Until 1990 it has established contact with more than 150 botanical gardens in Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, South and North America. The Botanical Garden establishes annually or once for the period of two years a dilectus consistently from the year 1963 to 1991.
In the beginning of the 70s, the Botanical garden parcel has been reduced twice. The first reduction has been done because of some construction work for the building of residential blocks in Trakia neighbourhood. The second reduction has been related to the trace of St. Petersburg Boulevard from the SPS Hotel to the Skobeleva Mother Road Junction, which is not yet implemented. From the initial 250 hectares, the Botanical Garden has been shrinked to 113,504 hectares. Fortunately, the west part of the garden, that is the most developed and most maintained, has been preserved.